Friday 30 May 2008

All the young dudes

Liverpool Sound City is now 75% over. More boo! Last night I went to see Hercules & Love Affair. Doors were advertised as 7.30pm, so I rolled up at half 8. But alas, Late of the Pier and Esser would not be appearing, pushing the doors and stage times back by a few hours. So I sat in a bar drinking Carling. By the time Telepathe made it on stage I was already a bit drunk. Florence and the Machine has a nice voice, but a few years ago wouldn't she have been in an aspiring girl group, trying to be the Sugababes?
The Field also appeared, but were not as much fun as ATP. Thir live set belongs in a cool club, not a Thursday night in Liverpool Barfly. They are still my best Swedish friends because I am dead cool and talk to dead cool bands and all that.
Once Hercules and Love Affair appeared, it was after midnight and my insides were churning with cheap lager. They put New Young Pony Club to shame with their funky disco beats and brass section. Well, trombone and trumpet.
So, it was officially a good gig. A bit late for a Thursday, for me at least. It was full of students shouting 'I've just handed in my disseration!' and snapping photos, so I must be a gormless figure in the background of approximately 287 pictures uploaded to Facebook today. Well, good for them, ready to party (sorry, RAVE) all night long. But I think daytime is for work, nighttime for sleep and evening for hobbies. Is that because I'm not a student or because I'm a tired grump?
The photo is of my handbag. It came from an overpriced souvenir shop in St Petersburg, not that you'd be able to guess it's from Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment