Monday 26 May 2008

Weekending in a Velvet Underground song

Last weekend (so long ago, but I haven't had chance to write about it until now) I went to All Tomorrow's Parties curated by Explosions In The Sky at Minehead Butlins. This is not to be confused with All Tomorrow's Parties at Camber Sands, because that one was curated by Pitchfork. And is at a Pontins, which is like the weird cousin nobody likes to talk about of holiday camps. Butlins, however, is posh. It's true! Pubs, eateries, go-karts, a high-ropes course...
The line-up was like Metacritic's best of 2007 albums, including The Field (sample-heavy Swedish ambient techno!), Stars of the Lid (guitar-heavy ambient drones!), Battles (guitar-heavy tribal post-rock!) and Animal Collective (um, samples, guitars, drones, Beach Boys!).
Out of all the festivals I've been to, ATP is probably one of the best. It's all about the MUSIC. Well, more about the music than most festivals... and because you get to sleep in a chalet, you don't have the problem of accidentally camping next to a group of morons who stay awake all night boasting about how many drugs they can consume during an average night out in Barnsley. Er, drugs! Illegal! Well done!
Between all the over-priced Carlsberg and vodka & ginger beers, here are my highlights of ATP vs EITS...
...A Hawk And A Hacksaw were lovely, although a little lost on the Pavilion stage on Saturday afternoon. It's a bit too massive for their Balkan fiddle and accordion twiddlings.
...The Field were a perfect end to dance out the weekend between 1.30am and 2.30am on Sunday night. And I'm not just saying that because Pitchfork gave his album 9 out of 10. Strange that all weekend most people looked like post-rock fans, but as soon as the 4/4 beats and laptop appear they start shouting 'RAVE!!' and 'THIS IS JUST LIKE SKINS!!'.
...Battles played twice, and I never realised there was such demand. Sunday night was a mere 45 minute hit parade, but Saturday night's set was for the fans. Until 3am (bit late, isn't it?). But I realised that I love them, so I don't mind that it was long past my bedtime. Don't laugh, 3am is late for a gig.
No photos, sorry, as my camera didn't travel with me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment