Tuesday 27 May 2008

Current obsession - Lykke Li

I love Lykke Li. Maybe it's because I believe Sweden to be a wondrous paradise where the trains run on time, the elderly are respected and so on.
She just seems so lovely and untainted by trends: she can sing and write songs that are a bit kooky, but not too kooky. I haven't seen her live, but she strikes me as the sort of young lady who whips out a melodica mid-set. I fell in love when I first heard Little Bit (a restrained, I'm-not-in-love-if-you're-not-in-love song) last year. When debut album Youth Novels had a Swedish release in January, I had to snaffle it up. It's patchy, but the beautiful moments are beautiful. Perhaps with a little more time spent with Peter, Bjorn and John and she'll hit the songwriting nail on the head for the second album. Because Sweden is a wondrous paradise where you don't get dropped if the first single doesn't 'perform' chart-wise, you get nurtured. (That's how it looks from the outside.)
Here is a video of Lykke singing I'm Good, I'm Gone, with about half of the Stockholm music scene (or STHLM, if you're cool like that). Including Robyn. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment