Wednesday 4 June 2008

Couples by the Long Blondes

Some albums need time to settle in. Couples, second album from The Long Blondes, has been out in the UK since 7 April, but my mind is only just made up on it. What is my mind saying? 'Meh...'
Lead single Century was alright, and new single Guilt sounds like it could sit comfortably amongst the tunes of Someone To Drive You Home. But overall it just tries to hard to be cool, and sadly fails. Erol Alkan? Good DJ, remixer and club promoter... but a producer? Not sure. He adds a lot of "electro" noises, but it's such a messy, lumpen album.
Even the cover (designed by singer Kate Jackson) doesn't do it for me. I like zebras. I like a well-upholstered chaise longues. But the Long Blondes are a self-proclaimed stylish band and this little collage isn't going to cut it. Look at all the white space in the middle!
I really didn't want to feel this way. I loved the Long Blondes when I lived in Sheffield, went to lots of their early pub gigs and felt jealous of Kate's apparently endless supply of pencil skirts and colourful scarves. Well, she was working in a vintage clothing shop at the time. Second albums are often difficult because bands are out on the road, promoting the first album and don't have time to write decent songs. But Dorian could have channelled some more Shadow Morton, couldn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment