Friday 20 June 2008

MySpace trawl

I love Paul Lester's New Band of the Day on the Guardian Unlimited. My tactic is to leave it for a few weeks, allowing a nice stash of New Bands to build up. Checking in every day leads to disappointment when I've already heard the New Band, or the New Band are crapola. Well, it's not called GOOD New Band of the Day, is it?
From my most recent catch up, the memorable bands and artists are:
1) Lucy and the Caterpillar. Oh dear. This is so self-consciously quirky that I could barf. She's a Mancunian cutie-pie who crochets, drinks cups of tea and writes folky-dolky songs about indie boys (barf). The caterpillar is her miniature acoustic guitar (more barf). Sorry Lucy: you sound like you want to be a Soviet Kitsch-era Regina Spektor, but don't have the cross-cultural experiences or poetic lyricism.
2) The Magic Wands. Eeek! Boy-girl electro pop from Nashville with a post-punk sneer. It's making me a bit excited. A lot excited.
3) Goyte. Gasp! He's like a Belgian-Australian pre-Scientology Beck. Actually, he is the new Beck. This man is officially the future of music! (Edit - It's easy to get carried away listening to tracks on MySpace, isn't it?) And he's written a slick ode to the frustration of your call being put on hold.
4) Montt Mardie. A young Swedish gent called David Pangmar. He's got a nice voice and acoustic guitar, but if he gazes any harder at his navel he's going to develop a squint. But he apparently says things like 'my creativity almost suffocates me'. Because being able to write songs is a burden, isn't it? A terrible burden. I'm weeping for you, David. Weeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment