Thursday 3 July 2008

Once upon a time at the Adelphi

The gigging drought continues in Liverpool, but I did get a little live music fix last night as I went to see a musical. I know! A musical. I'm usually more of a Brechtian, epic fan. But Once Upon A Time At The Adelphi is one of the big theatrical events of Oh-Eight (as in Liverpool '08, joint European Capital of Culture with Stavanger). And it was press night, and I'm always hopeful of bumping into Lyn Gardner one day. Although I'm not sure if I'd have anything interesting to say to her.
When I first heard about the show, I thought it was going to be a site-specific performance in the faded splendour of the Adelphi hotel (which never recovered its reputation from that BBC fly-on-the-wall documentary). But it's a big, cheesy musical at the Playhouse, with jazz hands aplenty and fully exploiting that revolve stage.
Set against the hotel's glamorous 1930s heyday, Once Upon A Time At The Adelphi is yarn about love conquering all. So just like any other musical, really. And as a musical, I'd give it 8/10 because it was full of high kicks, sparkly frocks and money notes. But for me, I'd give it 4/10. Because it felt like every other Oh Eight event that's been approved by about 100 organisers, all keen to ensure nobody could possibly feel offended. And because the message seemed to be that if you want to make something of your life, get out of Liverpool. And, most of all, because it was a big cheesy musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment