Thursday 17 July 2008

Seven inch shambles


Today I popped into Zavvi to see if they have Annie's I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me on seven inch. Turns out they don't have anything on seven inch. When I asked a young chap working there about it, he didn't have much to say apart from "we didn't sell many". I'm not surprised, because those now empty slots always seemed full of One Night Only and Scouting For Girls. Basically, music that about 10 people in the UK would probably want on vinyl.
Well, me and Zavvi are through. I never need go in there again, especially since the ground floor is full of DVDs, games and mobile phones. Is there a place on the high street for music? These days, it's looking like NO. In the much trumpeted Liverpool One development, the only "music" (read: entertainment) shop is HMV. I'm pulling a sad face at this one. Does the disappearance of seven inches in Zavvi mean we're a tiny step closer to the day when music is officially shit, because it's been packaged up to advertise mobile phones and so on?
Also, that £22 Bjork record you see above is not a special edition of Volta, but a pack of Wanderlust remixes. Come on, One Little Indian! £22 for some unnecessary variations on a theme?

No comments:

Post a Comment