Friday 28 November 2008

The best song in the world EVER!

Lovely brogues
Sometimes, I've wondered whether there is a song that transcends all other songs. The man who lives in the flat downstairs from mine has discovered what it is. It's The Only One I Know by The Charlatans.
I know what you're thinking. 'The Only One I Know? The Charlatans' 1990 hit? It's all right, I suppose. It rumbles along quite nicely, and has a Madchester-fringe sort of appeal.' Well, you had better keep those thoughts to yourself because Mr Downstairs loves it. Really, really loves it. For him, it's not just a once-a-day song. It's not even a twice a day song. On no. Sometimes it's a seven or eight times a day song. He listens to it over and over, and almost everyday I hear that familiar Hammond organ riff pulsating through my floor.
Mr Downstairs is also quite fond of Grounds For Divorce by Elbow. But it's the Coca-Cola Championship to The Only One I Know, which is the Barclays Premier League. All of it. And I'm starting to agree. It's a bit funky. It's a bit psychedelic. It's the product of a less cynical, more celebratory era. Dr Downstairs is not much of a talker. Occasionally he says hello, and once or twice he's held the front door open for me. So it's reassuring to hear the Charlatans emanating from his flat, and know that he's still alive down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment