Friday 28 November 2008

It's (nearly) the weekend

Let's celebrate with a chocolate Hob Nob and some new bands. (NB new to me, at least.)
1) La Roux. If Little Boots doesn't save retro-electro pop in 2009, La Roux will. Apparently. However, this Frenglish irritates me. 'La roux' makes no sense! It's 'le roux' or 'la rousse', OK? I know I'm being a pedant, but I did sweat through that Schaum's Outline of French Grammar. Which makes me the expert. Obviously. Oh well. La Roux does have a higher Google-ability. And the tunes are really rather good.
2) Pulled Apart By Horses. Noisecore guitar shenanigans! From Leeds! Both my thumbs are up in appreciation.
3) Skeletons. Sheffield ragamuffins with disjointed guitars and wailing harmonies. Low Google-ability, unfortunately.
4) Julien Dore. Monsieur Doré won Nouvelle Star in 2007, which is the French version of Pop Idol. This must mean France is behind us culturally, because we've moved onto superior TV talent competitions, such as the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. In France, they still have Star [Fame] Academy. Backwards! I'm joking. Julien Doré may have emerged from primetime, but he did so singing Nirvana and without having a proper shave. He also plays the ukulele, and only auditioned for the show to promote his then band, the Jean d'Ormesson Disco Suicide. The new Serge Gainsbourg?
5) Darlings of the Splitscreen. Actually, I took a poetic liberty at the start of this post. This band are not new to me. I went to one of their first gigs at the Grapes, Sheffield. But oh, how they have improved since then. (A lot.)Darlings of the artistic photoshoot

No comments:

Post a Comment