Friday 7 November 2008

The rise of the idiots

I kissed Obama As you may have noticed, the MTV Europe Music Awards took place in Liverpool last night. And as a citizen of Liverpool I feel that I should comment upon this very important cultural event. Let's just get on with this...
From where I was sitting (in the pub), it looked like a parade of morons with little relevance to Liverpool or music. (A man at the next table sagely announced 'it could be happening anywhere'.) It's like they'd started with the idea of a music award show (once upon a time they were quite exciting), chopped out the interesting bits (like the music) and filled in the gaps with glitter cannons and hair extensions.
Sometimes, it feels like the idiots are winning. The idiots who think wearing a t-shirt with Barack Obama's face on it is a radical politcial statement.
PS. Today, my hairdresser was insistent that Jay-Z and Beyonce went to Sayers 'because they don't have pasties in America'. I wanted to believe her, really I did, but somehow I doubt Jay-Z queued up for a ham and cheese slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment