Friday 16 January 2009

The Joy Division moratorium

Don't look back in anger I don't know if I like Joy Division anymore. Obviously, I realise they are not only one of the most important post-punk bands, but one of the most important bands. Ever. But there are too many bands out there who are trying to achieve the same doomy vocals, mechanised production and claustrophobic guitars. Step forward Interpol, Editors, White Lies, etc.
Ian Curtis was inspired by literature, art and philosophy including JG Ballard, William Burroughs... but so many bands sound like they're inspired only by Ian Curtis. It's an ever-decreasing spiral, and at the centre is one well-read yet troubled young man from Manchester.
I might have to set up a petition on the 10 Downing Street website to campaign for a Joy Division moratorium. I propose we take all our Love Will Tear Us Apart seven inches, Unknown Pleasures CDs and Joy Division ovengloves, then deposit then safely in a massive storage chamber beneath Macclesfield. Don't worry, it won't be forever: we'll just put them away for a year. When we get it all back our ears will be fresh and we'll fall in love all over again. And all those unsigned bands in provincial towns will be forced to redefine their references. Maybe there will be bands discovering German literature, New Wave cinema and, ultimately, fresh ways of musically expressing themselves. It's going to be a new Renaissance.
Joy Division are not the only band to blame for all the derivative acts out there. We might need an amnesty for The Smiths as well. And The Pixies. Basically, all the amazing zeitgeisty bands. It'll be difficult yet worth it, and I'll go first. You can just follow my example, I promise.
PS - I love the above Anton Corbijn photo of the band. It's an image I'm not embarrassed to call 'iconic'.

No comments:

Post a Comment