Sunday 25 January 2009

Life has surface noise

Recently, it was my birthday and a tasty selection of LPs came into my life:

Girl, put your records on
I love David Bowie (up to Let's Dance) and have most of his albums on CD or MP3 (not including anything post-Let's Dance). As you can see, it's not just David Bowie: The RCA Years, but there's also some Gang of Four and Ramones in the mix. Whoever previously owned these must have loved them as they're in amazing condition, especially considering some of them are over 30 years old. At first I thought they were recent reprints, but I checked the labels.
I love vinyl. I'm kooky like that. I love the ritual of searching through my record collection. I love slotting the stylus into the correct groove. But why am I clinging onto this niche format? It's a bit inconvenient, trying to delicately slide a 12 inch back into its sleeve without scratching it. They take up lots of space, and seem to attract dust magnetically. Also, I'm not convinced the sound quality is any warmer than digital music.
Perhaps it's nostalgia. My dad has a large collection of classical music on vinyl. Most of it is old Deutsche Grammophon recordings from charity shops. Perhaps I like making things a little bit harder for myself (not that placing a record onto a turntable is all that hard, but still a bit more tricksy than pressing a button on an iPod). Some music deserves a bit more effort.
I wouldn't want all my music on vinyl. But for David Bowie albums, definitely. They were recorded for 12 inch LPs, and that's where they belong. It'll be years and years before vinyl is obsolete, but as long as it's affordable I'll keep on collecting. So I'll just have to put up with dusting them every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment