Friday 9 January 2009

Five new bands for the weekend

Welcome to 2009 on Take It To The Chorus! It's the weekend, so here are some new bands. And when I say new, I mean new to me. So if you've heard it all before, just roll your eyes and move on.
1) Tommy Sparks He's a young man making poptacular tunes. There's a video for heart-throbbing single I'm A Rope, which features hypnotised fans and sequinned trainers. Mr Sparks will be supporting Bloc Party on tour in February, so we ('we' meaning the sort of people who go to Bloc Party gigs) can discover if he really is a pop star. Because he might be able to write and produce a fantastic tune, but can he perform?
2) Solid Gold Three men from Minneapolis. With keyboards. Making melancholy synthpop without the naval gazing. They are brilliant. Fact. Their debut album Bodies of Water is available here. They're unsigned, and could do with your cash monies.
3) The Research I lied to you before. The Research are not new to me, but I make the rules so I can disobey them. I sort of forgot about The Research after their debut album didn't sell by the shed full in 2006. Now I've remembered them and they are still making wonderfully sweet songs of love and loss. And still based in Wakefield. I hope Russell still has an impressive collection of jumpers.
4) David Goo Mr Goo and his Variety Band are responsible for the Balkan disco romp on the rightmove.co.uk advert. It makes me want to leap up with a glass of fire water and heartily declare 'na zdrove!' The rest of his oeuvre seems to be comedic yarns. I can't draw many conclusions from his website, but he's based in London and looks like the sort of man who'd be good to chat with in the pub.
5) Janelle Monae Imagine Andre 3000 with an android fetish. Single Many Moons is a sci-fi funk masterpiece that includes a chanted list of everything from bubonic plague to plastic sweat. Also, her artistic ambitions are big: Many Moons doesn't have a video but an 'official short film' in which Ms Monae stars as Cindi Mayweather, the Alpha Platinum 9000 android.Show me the Monae

No comments:

Post a Comment