Sunday 25 January 2009

Orange unsignedAct update

Once upon a time (well, December), I predicted that Scarlet Harlots would win Channel 4's elaborate battle of the bands show, Orange unsignedAct. Today, I was proven wrong as acoustic guitar-strummer Tommy Reilly won. Scarlet Harlots were in the final three, so I gave myself a pat on the back for my incredible ability to (almost) predict the future.
Tommy Reilly seems like a nice Scottish boy who can sing quite well and strum his acoustic guitar quite well. He now has a record deal with Universal, which promises a £60,000 advance and 'multi media marketing campaign' (e.g they'll get some street teamers to spam music forums with messages like 'OMG the new Tommy Reilly single is really good!'). But the leap from being an unsigned band/artist to a signed one is
His single is out now, titled Gimme A Call. You can buy over here. It reminds me of David Gray, with less of the wobbly head. The lyrical hook is 'give me a call, you've got a phone don't you?' Which leads me to the real winners of this televisual fandango: Orange. Their brand has been splashed all over the show. And now the winning single props up the idea of the necessity of owning a mobile phone (presumably one on the Orange network). Further, it's necessary to own a mobile phone so you can vote in televised battle of the bands competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment