Saturday 31 January 2009

I'm in the quicksand

Yoo hoo! I've been away in Sheffield for a few days, having a little holiday. I wanted to tell you about it at the time, but my laptop didn't like the Wi-Fi in Sheffield. On Thursday night, I went to Fuzz Club, which is a band-and-indie-disco night in the students' union. It is probably the best student indie night in the UK because they consistently book in ace bands and a pint of Snakebite is £1.60. I went for Snakebite and lime. You'd probably go for Snakebite and black[currant], but I have a more sophisticated palate.
La Roux played a few songs. Just in case you don't believe I was there, here is a picture:

Going in for the kill
As you can see, she was wearing a lovely striped t-shirt and blazer. But her shoes were even more lovely. And no, her right leg is not a ghost.
Nice shoes
Her backing synth player was wearing some very white trainers. Very white indeed. Is that a London thing? It doesn't look right in Sheffield. You're not going to last the length of Devonshire Street in the rain.
Don't step on my dunks
The man in front of me was wearing a colourful trilby. He took a lot of photos of La Roux on his phone. I think he was a bit in love with her.
Crazy hat
La Roux was fairly good, considering it was her third gig. A bit shaky, but fairly good. She started with In For The Kill (new single) and ended with Quicksand (old single), with a few near-identical songs betwixt. Ultimately, it was just a lady singing over a backing track. She joked that she'd never been north of London. Well, I hope it was a joke.
The merchandise stall gave me a rather nice strip of film, reminding me to buy the new single.
Promotional tat that is not so tatty
After La Roux's skit, it was time to dance the night away to the Strokes, the Knife and the Smiths.
Dance the night away
I talked to a boy wearing fairy wings. He told me he was raising money for charity and had to wear something pink. Oh really, I said, what charity? He couldn't remember.
Fairy wings
A good night out, and I saw La Roux for £2. I know, £2! These students don't know they're born.

1 comment: