Wednesday 11 February 2009

The chipmunk effect

Is Auto-Tune taking over R&B? Some pitch correction here and there on the vocals can smooth out a melody, but the T-Pain effect is dominating some records.
Whatcha Think About That, the new single from the Pussycat Dolls, is approximately 83% Auto-Tune. At first, I thought it was a weak playground chant sung by a robot channelled through a Stylophone. Now I realise it's a weak playground chant, but Auto-Tuned for effect to draw attention to its own artifice. This is appropriate as the Pussycat Dolls themselves are creatures of artifice. You wouldn't want to be in a confined space with them, as you'd have trouble breathing due to the smell of fake tan, hair mousse and desperation.
I was going to plonk the video in here so you could judge for yourself instead of clicking through to YouTube. However, embedding has been disabled by request. I guess Polydor realised that the single is not very good and didn't want the embarrassment of it splashed across the internets. Let's console ourselves with the single cover:

I think it's important you know that women can only contort their bodies into such positions with the help of Photoshop. Please don't be disappointed. I realise the blonde with her apparently detachable leg in the air looks so seductive, but it's not real.
Also, Missy Elliott, don't you have better things to be doing? There's a Yellow Magic Orchestra track I need you to sample right now. Just drop it in my inbox when you're ready. THANKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment