Friday 27 February 2009

Five new bands for the weekend

Marina without diamonds
1) Marina and the Diamonds One of the most promising post-Regina Spektor singer-songwriters out there. And when I say Regina Spektor, I mean Soviet Kitsch era, not Begin To Hope era. I only listened to that one once. It made me feel a bit sad inside. Marina is what you hoped Florence and the Machine would sound like.
2) Bear Hands Very, very cool band from Brooklyn. Of course they're cool: they're from Brooklyn. Williamsburg, probably. Are you only allowed to live in Brooklyn if you're a musician or artist (preferably both)? I will be seeing them live tonight, supporting Passion Pit at the Brudenell in Leeds.
3) School of Seven Bells Another band from Brooklyn, but this time a Secret Machines offshoot making swirly dreamscapes. Pitchfork like them. I don't like them because of this, but the recommendation doesn't hurt.
4) Polly Scattergood She's an alumni of the Brit School (please see: Leona Lewis, Katie Melua, Amy Winehouse...) and posts MySpace bulletins all the time to let everyone know she's got a new blog up. This annoys me. However, I forgave her a little bit when I listened to Other Too Endless. It's beautiful in an otherworldly way.
5) Boy Crisis Impossibly hip, gender confused and recently signed Brooklynites. I imagine they sleep all day and go to warehouse parties all night. Inbetween, they somehow find time to write some tasty punk-funk, hipster hop tunes. From their MySpace: 'They are well-liked in the blogosphere. They are hip and marketable to several youthy demographics. They have "crossover appeal." They have an "ethnic band member."' See? They've got a sense of humour too.

No comments:

Post a Comment