Monday 15 September 2008

The art vs sport dichotomy

B of the bang My trip to the Manchester Velodrome as an Olympics glory hound started me thinking about art vs sport. You can dabble in both, but there's only enough hours in the day to excel at one. Obviously, I chose to leap to the arty side of the fence.
At a gig, theatre or gallery I'm comfortable because I know the social conventions, but I spent my hour in the Velodrome feeling a bit embarrassed in case I committed a faux pas. Also, getting dressed in the changing rooms made me feel like I was back at school.
Once I'd got my head around not having brakes and being strapped onto the bike, it was good fun. Sadly, I won't be the next Victoria Pendleton but I managed to get off the Cote d'Azure and above the black line. Although it was a beginner's session, there were some very serious people decked out in Lycra, and a constant whiff of latent aggression. That must be what sport does to you. It was good fun, but I'll stick to art.

No comments:

Post a Comment