Monday 1 September 2008

Tunes of the week

Another week, another opportunity for me to compile a top ten list. Here are songs that I've been in playing during the past week:

10 Overdosin' by Heidi Montag
This is absolute crap. I've never even watched 'The Hills'! Honest. I don't even know what it's doing here. Probably because laughing at it makes me feel better about myself.
9 Toy Boy (Extra Muscle Mix) by Sinitta
It's actually by Stock, Aitken and Waterman, and this remix does have some extra muscle (well, extra bass). The sleeve promises 'Today's sound. Tomorrow's technology'. Surely the other way round would be better?
8 Feel The Love by Cut Copy
Unofficially, I've decided this is my favourite song of 2008. Other songs will emerge, but it will take a lot to displace this from the top of my chart. I suppose I should put it at number one every week, but that would get a bit boring.
7 My DNA by Manda Rin
New single from the ex-Bis lovely, but not that much of a new direction. I was a bit disappointed to see on her MySpace that she considers her influences to be New Young Pony Club, Blood Red Shoes and Late of the Pier. Surely it should be the other way around?
6 Breaking It Up by Lykke Li
Still releasing singles from 'Youth Novels'. And they're still wonderful.
5 Gamma Ray by Beck
When I listened to 'Modern Guilt' I was relieved to discover that Beck's still got it. What it is, I'm not sure, but I doubt he knows either.
4 Do The Strand by Roxy Music
The best Roxy Music song. Apart from Virginia Plain. Maybe.
3 Mercury by Bloc Party
Bloc Party managed to take me by surprise with their digital-only rush release of 'Intimacy'. Me and Bloc Party have not always been compatible (it's some of the lyrics look like bad poetry to me). But I was obviously wrong, and now we're going to be best friends. Mercury is amazing. Really and truly.
2 Dusk Til Dawn by Ladyhawke
Wonderful pop. If you're not paying attention, she does sound a little bit like Mira/Helen from Ladytron. Plus there's a Casio VL-Tone squealing in the background, and Casio VL-Tones are ALWAYS a good thing.
1 Jump in the Pool by Friendly Fires
Eeep! Can't wait for the album, or the tour. It's a bit like Cut Copy, a bit like Klaxons. For so long I wanted MORE COWBELL. And here it is. Well done, St Albans' finest. (Apart from Stephen Hawking, Francis Bacon and Michael Morpugo.)
Well, this post looks a bit boring without a picture. So here's one of Friendly Fires larking about:
We're kooky, we are

No comments:

Post a Comment