Sunday 31 August 2008

Peter and the Wolf (and double bass)

Last night I went to Korova for some gigging action. Strawhouses and The Laze were on first, but I missed them because I was drinking Jack Daniel's and coke. If you can't do that on a Saturday night, when can you do it?
Seal Cub Clubbing Club (SCCC) are local heroes, and not bad at all. They are halfway between a watered-down Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and a watered-down Mars Volta, from the Wirral. They're also proof that all the good band names have been taken. The album is out NOW, apparently.
The crowd thinned for Peter and the Wolf, which always seems to happen when the headliners play after the local heroes. There's something charming about them, and any band who goes to the trouble of bringing a double bass deserve more than a few moments of my time. They just need more hooks. I saw them in July at the Everyword Festival, and I completely forgot to tell you about it. But that's ok, I can tell you now. It was a Nabokov Present: Tense event, which involved the band spending a week writing a few songs on knife crime (the chosen topic), then performing them at the Everyman Theatre. There was also some short plays and a video. They just plugged in, played, went away. It didn't involve excessive soundchecks or endless fiddling with FX pedals. All unsigned showcase gigs should be like this. Be honest, most bands don't even have three good songs. Why drag it out longer than necessary?
I forgot to take my camera (to Korova or the Everyman). So no pictures of the light fixtures or floor tiles :(

No comments:

Post a Comment