Monday 25 August 2008

My life in songs

I've been in Edinburgh, for the festival. Of course! If you don't do the fringe, you're a nobody. In the art world. Here is some grafitti I saw outside a pub:
Picture of a wall
Here's my favourite songs of the past week. Because I don't have an iPod or Last FM account to document what I've been listening to, this list is fairly arbitrary. But it is compiled with love. Love!
10 So What by Pink
I liked it last week, and just as my interest began to wane, the video popped up all over the internets.
9 5 Years Time by Noah and the Whale
I tried to resist this twee little tune, but it managed to snare me.
8 The World Should Revolve Around Me by Little Jackie
Good song. Selfish sentiment.
7 Spiralling by Keane
That song they wrote Gwen Stefani was good. And this new single is even better. What's happening to me? Am I becoming the sort of person who takes a collapsible chair to gigs?
6 Into The Galaxy by Midnight Juggernauts
Better than Damon Albarn's contribution to the BBC's Olympic coverage.
5 Daddy's Gone by Glasvegas
They're even better than Jesus and Mary Chain.
4 Just Like Honey by Jesus and Mary Chain
Wait, not quite.
3 Red and Purple by The Dodos
Discovered this during a MySpace trawl. You'll like it, I promise.
2 Sleepyhead by Passion Pit
When my friend told me in the pub that I should listen to Passion Pit because they are VERY GOOD, I thought it was just one of those things you say in the pub. Then I listened to their MySpace songs, and discovered they really are very good.
1 Progulka by Zemfira
Zemfira is a post-Soviet pop icon. My boyfriend lived in Russia for a while, and tells me that Zemfira's popularity is of Dima Bilan proportions. Compared to more familiar pop princesses, she is startling. She doesn't talk about her private life, barely smiles and is self-consciously androgynous. Like Annie Lennox or KD Lang, but able to shift a million more units. She even found time between being a pop superstar to study for a philosophy degree at Moscow University. Progulka (translation: 'Walk', from her 2005 album Vendetta) is an incredible song. Unfortunately for Zemfira, it's the only Zemfira song I like. Her sixth album is imminent, so maybe I'll enjoy that. I can't even describe how excited it makes me... video is here. Make your own mind up.

No comments:

Post a Comment