Friday 8 August 2008

Three hours in Nottingham

Yesterday, I went to Nottingham for a job interview. Strolling around the medieval streets and people watching in a very sunny Market Square made me think 'yeah! I could live here!' The reality is that it rains in Nottingham as much anywhere else in the UK, and I don't know anybody who lives there. Nottingham has a good gig scene, but it felt a bit too small. Don't get offended Nottingham, it's just that I'm ready for a big, big city.
By reflex, I went into Select A Disc. Since when has it been so expensive in there? Everything I wanted on vinyl (Cut Copy, Hercules & Love Affair, Holy Fuck) was about £20. I left with a copy of The Stool Pigeon, Moscow by the recently defunct This Et Al (a 2005 limited edition release) and a Dragonette vinyl which mysteriously had 'freeparty@dragonette.com' stamped on the label. It was a bit embarrassing to hand over the total spend of 50p to the chap working there, with 'FREE JAZZ' emblazoned across his t-shirt. But I couldn't leave empty handed after browsing every record while waiting for my train.
Back home in Liverpool, I discovered the Dragonette seven inch is the divine I Get Around. Shame Dragonette only sold about a wheelbarrow full of records when they were trying to make it big in the '07, but I spied on their website that they have an Australian tour this September. So perhaps they're selling records somewhere in the world. I haven't spun This Et Al yet. Shame they never made it big outside of Leeds, as I always had a soft spot for their angular post-rocking antics. At least they had their integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment