Monday 18 August 2008

Weekending in Somerset

I spent the weekend at a wedding in Somerset, and I think a good time was had by all. I had a good time, at least. Due to a lack of funds and available rooms, I camped behind a pub that was also hosting a beer festival. The Wurzels were headlining, and the real ale was flowing.
I also thought you might like to know my top ten tunes from last week:
10. My Drive Thru by NERD, Santogold and Julian Casablancas
Hipster trio take the money and run. It's basically an advert for Converse, and sounds like a less good Beck, Prince and MIA.
9. When I Grow Up by the Pussycat Dolls
I can't decide whether I despise this or rather like it.
8. Last Train to Transcentral by the KLF
For some reason I NEEDED to listen to the KLF, so went back to the future (1990) for one of their less loved "other" singles.
7. Reinforcements by Sparks
I've been flicking through my vinyl a lot, and re-discovered this camp pop gem.
6. The Things That Dreams Are Made Of by The Human League
Re-discovered from another vinyl flick.
5. Come Into My World by Kylie Minogue
X doesn't do it for me. Sorry, Kylie. But this is amazing. Especially the Michel Gondry video.
4. Over the Ice by The Field
After watching The Field at Field Day last weekend, I re-discovered this track. It's like Steve Reich goes commercial.
3. ICA Lappis by Action Biker
I've said it before - absolutely lovely.
2. So What by Pink
New single, which leaked early and rapidly around the internets. And it's brilliant. Pink's been responsible for some utter crap (God is a DJ etc) but this divorce kiss-off is utterly brilliant.
1. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
Ended up here through a daisy chain because The Field sampled Kate's Cloudbusting. (I love Kate Bush so much that we're on first name terms.) Spent a bit of time comparing the original Wuthering Heights vocal with the re-recorded one, and generally thinking "argh, this is amazing! And she was only 19! Take that, Adele/Kate Nash!"

And, for a post-script, here are some wedding snaps:
Mmm, cake
Mmm, table
Going to the chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment