Tuesday 26 August 2008

Mathew Street festival

The bank holiday weekend featured a big shindig in Liverpool's calendar: the Mathew Street festival. Mathew Street being the location of the Cavern. And it really is spelt with one T, ok?
The festival was cancelled last year due to those omnipresent health and safety fears (read: fears that people would get drunk and climb onto scaffolding). But it returned this year with six outdoor stages, including the Brit Pop stage.
I imagined a few bands plugging through Beatles covers, but no, it enveloped the entire city centre. Call me a misanthrope, but it just looked like a big excuse to roam the streets while drinking cans of premium lager. Most of the bands were tribute acts, including Amy Wynehouse, Fake That and Kaiser Thiefs.
I saw some of local heroes Blue Ruby up on the new band stage, and they were no better or worse than the hundreds of other local heroes up and down the UK. Here's a picture of the available merchandise. I'm sure you'll agree it's tasteful and reasonably priced.
The price of culture
I know it's all a bit of japery and I sound miserable, but I live in the city centre. And free, outdoor events usually bring out the people who stagger around clutching Bargain Booze carrier bags, pissing on my doorstep and setting off fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment