Tuesday 19 August 2008

Goodbye, The Hits

The Hits has morphed into 4Music, and it was with a slight regret that I said goodbye.
Long ago my boyfriend renamed The Hits as The Shits on the Freeview EPG. Oh, how we chuckled. Because it was true... The Hits seemed to play about five videos per hour between adverts. And always the same kinds of videos (Rihanna, Timbaland, any commercial dance), going round and round and round. But it was always there, and the sort of channel that was good to switch on while doing the ironing or cleaning. Oh shush, we all need to do the cleaning.
I hoped to say goodbye to The Hits, but when I switched on before 7pm for the big launch last Friday. But it had already disappeared! So unless somebody tells me I'll never know what the final video was. But who cares? 4Music is the future. From now on every video will be introduced by squawking and gurning Camden types, dressed by Beyond Retro. The playlist will focus on bands featuring boys in skinny jeans, strumming guitars. The schedule will fill up with repeats of reality TV shows and Friends. It'll be just like E4! I'm joking. Sort of.
It will be televised musical fun. But I really don't like being told all the time why each video/band is amazing. Especially by someone like George "Mr Charisma" Lamb. Just be quiet and let me make up my own mind. Unless it's Steve Lamacq or Huw Stephens. They know what they're talking about, and I can even forgive Steve for shilling for the Pigeon Detectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment