Monday 22 September 2008

One man bands and vodka

On Saturday night I went to a gig at Mello Mello, an artsy cafe run by volunteers just off Liverpool's main drinking strip. It's a lovely little place, with pictures all over the walls and a fine selection of teapots:
It ain't all bad news
Anyone for tea?

Because it's a cafe, it was a BYOB night. So I arrived with ginger ale and vodka, and think I've only just woken up (it's now Monday lunchtime). The main event was Bob Log III, supported by my friend Thomas Truax. There were two other supports, but I was too rude to write their names down and the answers won't provide the answers, so I may never know the name of the young man reading poetry. Sorry! It was the Imperial vodka ('specially selected by Spar').
Thomas Truax charmed the audience with his inventions and crazy antics. Because I've been friends with him for a while, I'm not sure I can evaluate his performance. Let's just say that he doesn't so much break through the fourth wall, as smash it to pieces. And he sings about orphanages, dogs howling at the moon and long train journeys. The audience were grinning their chops off, including the passers-by with their faces pressed to the window outside.
Last week's Guardian Guide unfairly described Bob Log III as 'occasionally entertaining'. Well, Guardian Guide, I was very entertained. Unfortunately, I couldn't really see what was happening because the stage was comparable to a cardboard box. I guess some people would view it as sad that Bob Log III was hotly-tipped in 2001 alongside The Strokes and White Stripes. And while Jack White has a supermodel wife and new Bond theme, Bob Log III is still leaping around in a jump suit and crash helmet for the pleasure of drunken fools (like me). Well, you know which sounds like more fun to me? The latter. Less money, but more integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment