Tuesday 23 September 2008

Top 10 songs of the week

I should have told you this on Sunday, in the tradition of charts, but I'm a busy woman. Oh well. Let's go!

10. Mr Pharmacist by The Fall
Dave Simpson's new book The Fallen is out now. I might buy it when it's out in paperback, because I'm cheap like that. (It's £18.99 in hardback. That's a lot of pounds to read about The Fall.)
9. Look Back Jacques by The Arch Nazards
The Arch Nazards is my chum Adrian Flanagan, who was briefly a member of The Fall.
8. Up by The Saturdays
There's something I don't like about this whole Saturdays thing, but I haven't decided what the thing is yet. I'll get back to you.
7. Too Fake by Hockey
I'm not just saying this is good because Paul Lester put them on his New Band of the Day blog, ok? It's as if The Rapture and LCD Soundsystem moved to Oregon.
6. My Delirium by Ladyhawke
She is very good, you know.
5. The Promise by Girls Aloud
I'm coming around to the idea.
4. This Bird by Solange
The album's been out for a while, but I forgot about it. This is the album closer, in which Solange-younger-sister-of-Beyonce warbles over a Boards of Canada track.
3. Halfway Home by TV On The Radio
TVOTR (see, I'm a fan) are one of my favourite bands. And now they've got a new album. And they're touring. It's almost too exciting for me, so I've had to ration out listens to this in case I start running around like a hyperactive child.
2. Black by thecocknbullkid
A new song from the Londoner, and she's turning into a proper popstar. This one has bass and a Gameboy-core ending.
1. Embrace by PNAU
My friend spent an evening in the pub telling me how amazing this track is, and getting me to repeat the spelling (p, n, a, u!) so I'd remember to listen at home. Well, I did, and he was right. They're from Sydney, and the vocals are by the lovely Ladyhawke. In celebration of their achievement at hitting number 1 in my arbitrary chart, here's a picture:

PNAU and unicorn
Photo by
Cybele Malinowski.

No comments:

Post a Comment