Friday 19 September 2008

Girls Aloud vs Sugababes

Top of the pops UK girlbands Girls Aloud and Sugababes both have new singles "out there" (The Promise and The Girls respectively), and it seems appropriate to place them side by side and decide which would be victorious were they to fight. Both bands are vying to be the biggest pop girlband in the land, both are lead singles from new albums and and both have parping brass riffs, which were invented by Mark Ronson in 2007. Fact.
There's a lot of people with a lot of things to say about The Promise, so I don't feel I need to add to it. I agree with No Good Advice's appraisal that The Promise is 'blissful, swooning and warm', but overall it doesn't excite me. It's good, but come on, it's not the best pop song ever.
There's also a lot of people with a lot of things to say about The Girls. All I can say is that it makes me barf in my mouth a little bit. Yes, Sugababes have had some amazing tunes over the years, but I can't get around the problem that they look like the sort of girls who would elbow you out of the way in the nightclub toilets, just to get a better look at themselves in the mirror. Sugababes are riding the bandwagon of popularity by reworking a song that has been used by Boots in their TV advertising. And I despise those Boots adverts, because of the lumbering idea beneath that by buying a cheap bit of make-up will transform you into a desirable glamazon. I don't even need to look at the Sugababes' video to know that it features some lipstick lesbian girl-on-girl grinding. Go on, you watch it and tell me I'm wrong.
Who are the winners? Girls Aloud or Sugababes? You know the answer...

Girls Aloud go Blam!
PS I'm still learning how to use Photoshop (or should that be 'how to Photoshop'?), so it's rudimentary. But we've all got to start somewhere, and in my case it was with the polygonal lasso. I'm also not sure what I'm trying to tell you, visually. Girls Aloud = Roy Lichtenstein?

No comments:

Post a Comment