Wednesday 3 September 2008

Out in the streets

I know I did a post about video yesterday, but I'm doing another one today. From Action Biker's MySpace I stumbled onto a lovely Swedish music blog called PSL. The best bit is a section called Video-arkiv: Musik med ("Video archive: music with". Look at me, reading Swedish with Google Translate).
It's all very lo-fi or no-fi, as most of the performances are acoustic and filmed on the streets and hotel rooms of Stockholm (go, STHLM). I find this a lot more appealing than the fast-cutting, whistles and bells approach of music shows like Transmission or Sound. And there's no grinning Shoreditch-ite telling me why it's cool. I'm such a grump.
There's loads of videos to dip into, and among the Swedish artists there are some familiar friends like Kate Nash, Laura Marling and Slow Club. So far, my favourite is Lykke Li singing Little Bit, because it starts with an old man shouting from his flat, threatening to call the police. At the end, he's been charmed by Lykke and her toy piano, and throws a flower onto the street. I also like The Dodos playing next to a Gothenburg tramline, and CocoRosie over-dressed backstage at Debaser.

No comments:

Post a Comment